Fires are unpredictable catastrophes that cannot be controlled. They come seemingly come from nowhere and leave devastation in their wake. Fires have the ability to destroy homes and personal belongings with ease. Despite the unpredictability of fires, people can take precautions that can allow them to keep personal belongings safe. One such way is through a fireproof document bag.
Many people are unsure exactly what a fireproof document bag is, but hopefully, by the time this article is done you will have a thorough understanding of what a fireproof bag is, how it works, what to consider when purchasing a fireproof bag, how to properly store one, and the top five fireproof document bags out there.
What Is A Fireproof Bag?
The name is pretty self-explanatory: the fireproof bag keeps important documents, pictures, money, electronics, and trinkets from being damaged during a fire. Typically, the bag provides protection against fires reaching up to 2000 degrees. The bag is lightweight, so it is easy to carry and transport in case of an emergency where you have to leave the vicinity quickly. Some bags come equipped with handles or shoulder straps that make it easy to transport.
Why Should You Use A Fireproof Bag?
As mentioned before, fires are unpredictable and can spread very quickly. Unlike fireproof safes, the bag is lightweight which makes it easier to move in case of an emergency. Furthermore, they can withstand most temperatures caused by flames. Most fireproof bags are also waterproof, which make them ideal during hurricanes or tornadoes.
What Do People Store in A Fireproof Bag?
The possibilities are endless when it comes to what can be stored inside a fireproof bag. Electronics such as laptops, tablets, cell phones, USB devices, cameras, and portable gaming systems can all be stored in the fireproof bag. Important documents such as passports, birth certificates, emergency money, IDs, debit/credit cards, legal documents, crypto-currency paper wallets and photographs can be stored in the bag as well. The possibilities are endless when it comes to what can be stored in a fireproof bag.
Important Features to Look for When Purchasing A Fireproof Bag
- High-Quality: First and foremost, make sure to purchase a bag with high-quality material. Because the bag is designed to protect against fires, you want to make sure you purchase the highest quality possible. After all, you do not want your personal property to get destroyed, so this is one area you definitely do not want to skimp out on. Silicone is the material used by most fireproof bag manufacturers.
- Affordability: Fireproof bags are a cheaper alternative to other fire protection measures such as purchasing a fireproof safe. Because of its affordability, it is easier to work into the monthly budget.
- Size: Fireproof bags tend to come in large sizes in order to keep all of your personal belongings safe. However, wallet-sized bags can also be purchased.
- Water Protection: Not only will your personal belongings be safe during a fire, but they will also be protected from water damage, which makes them ideal to own if you live in a high flood area.
- In A Pinch: Fireproof bags are easy to use and can be stored almost anywhere. In an office, garage, or right by your bed for easy reach during an emergency. Is it Too Good to Be True? It’s understandable to be a little apprehensive when putting your faith in a product that is meant to keep your personal belongings safe. However, fireproof bags have been around for years and have a good reputation. In the instance that your bag does not keep your personal property safe or if there is some sort of defect, most come with a money back guarantee.
Let’s be clear: although they can withstand water damage and high temperatures, fireproof bags are not indestructible. They allow your belongings to be kept safe for a certain amount of time. If the fire is severe or if it takes a while to get the fire out, your stuff may not be kept safe. It is important to note that the company is not responsible if your personal belongings are destroyed. However, it is still important to invest in a fireproof bag, even if it does not 100% keep your stuff safe.
Top Fireproof Bag Brands
- First is Colcase (Click to check current price on Amazon). The bag is 15”x11” and is made with non-itchy silicone that is fireproof. Items such as money, passports, and birth certificates can easily be stored in it.
- Second is the Spardis Spartan Shield XXL fireproof money bag (Click to check current price on Amazon) (16”x12”x3.5”). Double layer fireproof bag with handle, shoulder strap, aluminum that won’t heat up, itch-free silicone coated with fiberglass, and a sturdy zipper. The bag is large, so a lot of your belongings can be stored safely. Also, this bag can withstand heat up to 1100 degrees Fahrenheit. Its large size allows for item s such as laptops or tablets to be protected during a fire.
- Next, is a bag made my Jinker (Click to check current price on Amazon) that can withstand temperatures up to 2000 degrees Fahrenheit. The bag is waterproof and is foldable. It measures 15”x11”x3”.
- Last on the list is a bag made by Engpow (Click to check current price on Amazon). The fireproof bag measures 15″ x 11″x 2.56″ inches and is made from itch-resistant silicone coated fiberglass. This bag is perfect for storing passports, legal documents, and other important paperwork. I personally own one and it works great!
Although the fireproof bag cannot keep everything perfectly safe, it does provide a peace of mind in case a fire does break out. The affordability of the fireproof bag makes it an ideal investment for anyone. People who live in hurricane or tornado areas should also invest in a bag. There is nothing more important than your peace of mind, especially during a fire or flood, and fireproof bags allow people to have that small peace of mind.